"My skin is kind of sort of brownish pinkish yellowish white.
My eyes are greyish blueish green, but I'm told they look orange in the night.
My hair is reddish blondish brown, but it's silver when it's wet,
And all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet."
-Shel Silverstein

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Custom Jars

I made these cute little jars the other day, inspired by Martha's etched jars. I just felt like I wanted something I could change when I wanted to, so I added my own little twist.


Then I made one for my aunt, who needed a little space to save some tax money! Her's isn't changable since she isn't allowed to use it for anything but taxes! :)
I started with this jar:
Then used Metallic spray paint to make the lid pretty

2 coats did the trick.

While that was drying, I used goo gone (wonderful!) to get the gunky stuff off the jar
Then I taped off a square that I wanted to spray with chalkboard paint and painted it with 2 coats of chalkboard paint

After it was dry, I thought it was a little boring:
So I added an etched design above and below the chalkboard area.
I just made a little design on contact paper and put it on the jar, then cut the design out with an x-acto knife
Apply armor etch generously and let it sit for 10 or 15 min. I have seen where many people say to remove it after 5 minutes and reapply, but I found that it makes no difference if you take it off and reapply, but sometimes I ended up moving a bit of the contact paper and ruining my design, so now I just leave it on the entire time.
Be sure that your etching creme doesn't run-

(While you're waiting 15 mintues for it to etch, you can make another craft- that's what I did! I will post it later)
Rinse the armor etch off in the sink:

Remove the contact paper and you're done!


Then there is the version with just the etching- I just used scotch tape and contact paper. I think they turned out pretty cute!


Linking up to:


DIY Day @ ASPTL






BWS tips button





Organize and Decorate Everything

4 comments:

  1. Wow! So cool! I didn't know they had spray chalkboard paint...I am going to have to start a savings jar for my crafts habit:) Thanks for linking at LSL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! I have to get some of that goo gone!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the size of the jars. What a clever idea with adding the little designs too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the jars. They turned out great. Thanks for showing us how to make them and for linking to We're Organized Wednesday. Hope to see you back again next time.

    ReplyDelete