"My skin is kind of sort of brownish pinkish yellowish white.
My eyes are greyish blueish green, but I'm told they look orange in the night.
My hair is reddish blondish brown, but it's silver when it's wet,
And all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet."
-Shel Silverstein

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

What I did today!

We were supposed to go to the zoo today (again) but (again) we didn't get to. Why didn't anyone mention the "Furious Fours"? At any rate, I wasn't terribly upset because it gave me time to sew! I haven't been able to do much since the garage sale and all the clean up required afterwards!

Anyway, my aunt Tracy and her friend Deb asked me to make a cushion for a pew she has on the front porch. It's huge and was a little rough on the bum when Deb went out for a smoke. (Deb, you should stop smoking- it's not good for the lungs or the bum!) :) So I have been meaning to do it, and just got around to it today. I wanted to make a seat cushion and a back, but only had enough material to do the seat. I actually used a pair of chino curtains from Walmart clearance (only 11.00!!!) I bought them because I loved the stripes and couldn't beat the price! Even though I knew they were going to be something other than curtains.

Here they are:

Aren't these stripes too cute?!
So I sewed up a cushion to fit the seat (which I'm pretty proud of!!!)
Since I didn't have enough fabric to make the back, I decided I'd dig through my stash and try to come up with some pillows that she could use to put behind her. I didn't have any fabrics that coordinated, but then I found these placemats that I got at a garage sale for .25 a piece! Perfect! And the best part was that it was minimal sewing!
I just pulled a couple inches of the stiches out the side, then stuck my hand in to separate the two sides. They were pretty stiff, but I think they'll work nicely for outdoor pillows!

Then I stuffed them with an old pillow and sewed the edge back up. This one had that stain but it's not as noticable in real life. (Don't you love the trash can as my display table, complete with farm animals in the background?)
Then I made Deb a cute little ash tray because if you're going to smoke you should have a cute area to put your butt, right? :)

The final product:

I hope they love it! I think it's super cute!

post signature

Linked to all or some of the parties here

4 comments:

  1. Well Amanda, you had a busy but productive day - job well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job!
    Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related No.11!
    {Rebekah}

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is amazingly adorable. The fabric looks perfect there - and the butt holder, great use of a bucket and scrap fabric. I'd love to see this linked up to Fabric Fun Thursday (or any other creative fabric goodies) :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I need 3 of these for my kitchen booth. Great job. Come say I when you get time.

    ReplyDelete