"My skin is kind of sort of brownish pinkish yellowish white.
My eyes are greyish blueish green, but I'm told they look orange in the night.
My hair is reddish blondish brown, but it's silver when it's wet,
And all the colors I am inside have not been invented yet."
-Shel Silverstein

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Lounge chair covers


My mom had some old lounge chairs that were in good condition but looking a little rough, so she wanted to make some covers for them.
They are comfy but not looking so great, since they've spent much of their lives in the cellar...
So she bought 4 of these 3.00 towels from Walmart
I turned the top down about 14 inches because she wanted to be able to add a pillow, and this made a little pocket for the pillow.
Then I measured the chair and decided how far the sides needed to come over, so in this case the chair was 20 in across and the towel was 30 in, so I divided the 10 remaining inches by 2 and the sides needed to fold in 5 inches each side. This allowed the cover to slip overtop the chair.
I unfolded the top part to fold the sides in, and marked a sewing line 14 inches down (where the pocket would fold. This is sort of hard to explain...
Fold along the line and flip inside out (very hard to explain...)
It will look like this... a finished pocket that will slip over the chair.
Then I sewed along the bottom of the part that will hold the pillow, leaving an opening in the middle to stuff a little travel pillow in.
The opening:
Then I calculated how much of the towel I would need to cut off in order to attach the other towel. I didn't want stripes in the middle of the chair. This will depend on the length of your chair, but in this case was one inch above the stripes on the top towel and even with the stripe on the bottom half towel.
Cut
This is the bottom half of the cover (am I the only one who has a really hard time taking photos of myself doing something? Since I'm right handed and the camera button is on the right side it's really tough...)
Then pin right sides together (so the seam is in the back of the cover) and sew
Then drape over your lounge chair and you're ready to relax!

post signature

Linked to some/all of these great linky parties

2 comments:

  1. I bet that's much more comfy than the original too! How clever to add the pocket for a pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete